Search the Blog

Sunday 13 March 2011

How Many Home Projects Are in Your Head vs. in Action?

I seem to have at least five projects on the go in my head at any given time. Sometimes I start making notes or lists about the projects, but it doesn't seem often enough that these projects come to fruition or get completed. With two toddlers in the mix these days, it feels like things get done fast and furious in the small windows when I have help to keep my lovely and demanding 1-yr old off my leg.

My most recent endeavour was a family photo wall. It was a Christmas present for my husband 2 years ago when we challenged each other to a limit of $30 while I was on leave with our first child. I collected unwanted frames and some dollar store ones and painted them all black. My inlaws and parents helped me collect some historical photos of our families, and I brushed them up and converted them to black & white in Photoshop. Then I framed them all while my mom watched my then 6-month old in one super-efficient evening a few days before Christmas.

It only made it on the wall 2 weeks ago. With a few new family members missing, two many photos crammed into a small space, and some very shotty hot-glue mcguivering (that's a verb right?) the photos finally made it to our hallway wall. The goal was to get it done in time for Family Day, when we had our siblings and parents over for our youngest's 1st birthday.
Everytime I look at the photowall I'm slightly dissastisfied. Its a bit cluttery, a bit skewed, but I'm starting to come to terms with it. This is an approach I'm trying to take with most projects in the past few years since we've had kids. Not everything (or hardly anything) will be perfect. Most things will be done in small windows of time or while juggling playing with toddlers, making food or picking up after the never-ending tornado that two toddlers leave behind them. But that's just how it is. And I'm cool with that. Anything that would take more time or attention probably isn't worth time away from my family anyways.

How do you prioritize your projects to keep it real?

No comments:

Post a Comment