Search the Blog

Monday 23 May 2011

Easy Freezer Food

I've been batch cooking like crazy lately, trying to prepare dishes for all our friends and family expecting new babies. Three babies have arrived in the last week!

So I decided to share a couple recipes for dishes that I loved when our babies were born. They all have a decent amount of protein, veg and carbs, and can be heated by popping them from the freezer to the oven. They are all easily doubled or tripled to do in batches.

Sheppard's Pie - credit to my mom!
This is by-far my favourite starving nursing momma meal for myself, so I figure other moms might like it too. Can be made with ground chicken or turkey to make it a bit leaner.

Pasta Casserole - credit to my friend Cristina!
Tortellini or ravioli work well as a freezer dish when cooked al dente, mixed with lots of sauce and topped with shredded cheese. Vegetarian.

Enchiladas
Super tasty and can be made with chicken or just cheese for vegetarians. Leave the sauce separate if its going to be stored frozen for more than a month.

Goat Cheese Quiche
Since I don't like too many quiches, but really like this one, I figure it would work for most people. How can you go wrong when its filled with goat cheese and topped with grated Swiss or Gruyere?

Morning Glory Muffins
Carrot, apple, raisins and walnuts pack these with a decent amount of protein and fibre. Substitute 3/4 of the oil for unsweetened apple sauce and you cut the not-so-good fat and its still nice and moist. Cut the coconut to make it even leaner, but coconut does contain a good amount of vitamins and minerals.

Flourless Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies
This is a GIGANTIC batch of cookies. The last time I got 8 dozen from it! Great for batch cooking, sharing and freezing! Nice that these have some protein and fibre to rationalize away the sugar!

No comments:

Post a Comment