Search the Blog

Monday 23 May 2011

To Run or Not To Run...

I had a blog post idea in the back of my head, a few months back, titled "Running Makes Me Happy". It wasn't written fast enough it seems, since I was told by my GP a few weeks later (about 2 months ago) that I probably shouldn't run. This didn't go over well with me, and it took me a while to come to terms with this advice, and then selectively ignore it. I still went ahead and ran the Sporting Life 10k race on May 1, finishing at a decent 1:09.

When I started a couch-to-5k run clinic at my yoga studio in September, I hadn't run since doing laps on the track in highschool. I have been fairly out of shape since I tore my knee and had reconstructive surgery, then foot surgery and 2 pregnancies. Excuses, excuses.

I love biking, canoeing, hiking, and dabbled in 'stroller fit' classes since my two little ladies came around, but none of it really impacted my overall cardio fitness level and weight. When I started the run clinic in September, I was really anxious and worried I might pass out before the end of our first 30 min run/walk. We started at 1 min walking / 1 min running and although it wasn't 'fun', it wasn't so bad. We gradually worked up to alternating 6 minutes running, 1 minute walking, for 5 km. Doing yoga right after helped alot with muscle tightness. I was extremely fortunate to have wonderful friends who I could run with, having the best chats with while we ran. I always look forward to running with friends. The time passes so quickly and I don't notice my tiredness as much. I also like running alone, though not as much, because I listen to music and imagine dancing to it (sometimes silently mouthing the words to the songs). Running makes me feel really good. I could sprint down the street without getting winded; I was losing weight and toning up, and sleeping so much better. I was very proud to complete a 5k race with my best friends in December (only 3 months from the time I wasn't running at all).  My reconstructed knee has always been a tad bit sore from running, but it is from many activities.

After winter subsided I started a 10K clinic, after a 3 week hiatus from running during some nasty storms and a head cold. The first few runs were okay but when we increased the distance by 1km a week, my 'good' knee started screaming. My GP sent me for x-rays, and the results showed  minimal degenerative marginal ostophytosis, blank likely incidental bone island on my tibia at the junction of the medulla and cortex, and differential would include other sclerotic bone foci including fibrous dysplasia. Ohhhhhhhhhh, that's what it is! Its so much clearer now. Argh! The advice of my GP after the xrays was as I feared: "running is probably not a good idea. It will only get worse. You need your knees for life. Try biking or swimming. If you insist on training for this race it will continue to hurt. You should stop running if it becomes painful." This all sounds like common sense, but it is a very hard pill to swallow.

I like biking, but you can't chat while biking, or risk riding into a pole while you turn your head sideways to hear because the wind is gusting in your ears so bad facing forward that you can't hear the person shouting. Swimming is even less social, with conversation completely impossible, and not very attractive because I have HORRIBLE swimming technique. I only recently learned that I'm supposed to breath out into the water during front crawl and only inhale above water, facing sideways. It explained alot about why I often feel like I'm drowning while swimming.

I did some research and found there are a few studies that show regular runners actually have a lower incidence of osteoarthritis in their joints than non-runners. Running and other weight-bearing cardio activities help flush fluid through the joints, which is the only way cartilage and ligaments can receive oxygen, possibly improving your cartilage. Proper stretching and strengthing are keys to preventing injury.

With all this in mind, I kept running, but listened to my body and didn't push it too hard, too fast. The pain subsided for the most part. I scaled back my training after that visit, sticking to 5k mostly. I had already registered for the Sporting Life 10k race by the time I got this advice, so I decided to try it and just walk if my knees got too sore. I finished the race doing 10:1 intervals running the whole thing!

My regular runs are from 5-7k typically, and I'm trying to include more biking now that the weather's better and I can lug my 100lbs of toddler in the bike trailer. I'm definitely not defeated by this diagnosis, but I'm still interested to hear what the orthopedic surgeon has to say about it in a few weeks!

1 comment:

  1. Inspirational! Especially for someone like me who is having some knee trouble at the moment. I really want to play soccer this season, especially since I signed up for 3 teams.

    ReplyDelete