Search the Blog

Friday 30 September 2011

Sacred Friday Nights

The first day back to work finally came (after a year and a half off)... and went. I just finished my fourth week back at school since my leave with Grace and I definitely feel like a chicken with my head cut off most of the time.

Tonight was a rare, blissful, calm moment, hanging out with the girls and my husband and just hanging, with nothing on my mind and just enjoying them. Must be a Friday thing. Fridays are sacred to me for that reason. The pressure to 'have fun' or 'get stuff done' on the precious two days of the weekend has not yet crept in. On that note, the museum is on our agenda tomorrow!

The anxious feeling about the marking I didn't do or the prep I should have done that typically hits on a Sunday hasn't even crossed my mind.

Part of me wonders what the heck I was thinking when I was a new teacher and couldn't for the life of me understand why my colleagues with kids didn't want to try every new lesson idea or mark 30-60 giant bristol board posters! No projects bigger than 8.5x11 these days, that's for sure!

I still LOVE teaching though. Almost to my detriment (or even my family's detriment, sadly). I can't help myself when I think of a new way to approach a topic or find a new resource or activity to try out. I really need to reign it in this year and find a workable balance between work and family.

So tonight, instead of worrying about work, I'm sitting here catching up on correspondence, writing a blog entry, and a host of many other things I wouldn't even give a second thought to during the week. I'm sitting in a living room that looks like a tornado came through, with a sink full of dirty dishes at 10pm and don't give a crap because there are 2 more days in the weekend to worry about all that. I remember reading a blog post from a work-from-home mom who spent Fridays cleaning up and 'prepping' the house so that the weekend could be more relaxing and stress-free. I wish that could be me sometimes, but right now, I'm glad it isn't. Fall tv line-up, here I come!

No comments:

Post a Comment